Hollywood, FL asked in Copyright and Civil Litigation for Florida

Q: someone stole my artwork from a social media site, slightly altered it and used it for profit. What can I do?

I originally created the image for a fan page on Facebook, Facebook changed their policy on using pseudonames and deleted the page the image was originally posted on, I still have the original.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jane Kim
Jane Kim pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It depends what you mean by "slightly" altered. And how do you know how much profit that person generated?

In any event, if you believe you were first in time to create it, you can have a lawyer send Cease and Desist letter to this person not to use it again. If this artwork is worth substantial amount of money worth a lawsuit, you can reach out to a copyright litigator or a litigator to determine if you have a viable claim.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.