Forney, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Can I apply for naturalization if I had a case of paraphernalia over 10 years ago?. It was expunged and cleared.

I have not committed any crimes since and my record is clean. I’ve been a permanent resident since 2016 and qualified to apply after 3 years since married to a us citizen. We have 2 children together and stilI married.I get confused with the question they ask.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime? My case was dropped to a misdemeanor then expunged. Not sure. It has been over 10 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
Nadine C. Atkinson-Flowers
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: You would answer yes on the application form and you would have to provide stamped copies from the court about the case. The best thing to do now is to get the stamped copies and take them to a lawyer for a discussion. The naturalization application requires good moral character and a conviction is usually a problem for that. Talk to a lawyer and take your case's documents with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.