Asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Child Custody for Texas

Q: My son turned13on 2-03-22 His dad has lived 20 minutes away made his choice not to be part of his life, plz read belw

Seeing him less than 5 or 6 times yearly.Hes a journeyman electrician of 25+ yrs, makes very good money but always lied about it and when he did pay c. Support, it was 500 at its highest.The woman he lives with is a P.Assist.On 6-13-2021 I was in a terrible car wreck.My poor son, who had spent the night with his dad maybe 4 times in his entire life was thrust into an entirely different lifestyle. I almost lost my life but at times while talking to my son on the phone... he was crying and begging to come home.His dad's girlfriend told me if she had wanted a child, she woulda had her own.i have 1 more surgery before I can go to court to get him Back.Yes, his dad filed paperwork while I was in hospital so he didn'thave to pay c.s.he has my son and I have to pay 100.00 c.s.I've not been able to work, no car.Was going to get a car when taxes came in.They filed for him first.I had him the ENTIRE 6 months, they never saw him, plz tell me I can paperfile &stand a chance of making this rite. TY

1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If they supported him more than 50 percent of the time they can claim him, If you think you are entitled to exemption call the IRS and there is a form you can fill out to contest your ex claiming your son,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.