Akron, OH asked in Immigration Law for Ohio

Q: Would my green card carrying ex husband have my sponsorship of him transferred to his new American wife?

My ex-husband has his 10 year green card through our marriage, and I’m his sponsor. I understand that one of the stipulations for my sponsorship to end is he has to have 40 quarters of work under his belt. Does my quarters worked during our marriage count towards his needed 40 quarters? I also read under Social Security that co-habiting with someone could possible count as quarters being added to his 40 quarters needed through his new fiancé. If none of this is in my favor… Would him remarrying to another US citizen this fall end my sponsorship to him? Last thing I would want is to be financially responsible for him and his soon to be wife. He refuses to become a citizen, because he knows that this messes with me. I would hope him marrying another US citizen would be in a my favor at the very least.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Traverse City, MI

A: Yes, your quarters worked add to his.

An intending immigrant can acquire 40 qualifying quarters in the following ways:

1. Working in the United States for 40 quarters in which the intending immigrant received the minimum

income established by the Social Security Administration; or

2. By being credited with quarters worked by the person’s spouse during the marriage or a parent

during the time the person was under 18 years of age; or

3. A combination of the above.

See here for more information: https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/resources/intro_guide_affidavit_support-20180410.pdf

Best wishes!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.