Fresno, CA asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for California

Q: Mom died 7 years ago, her house never transferred ownership-i want to sell it what capital gains tax do i have to pay?

Mother died about 7 years ago- no one changed the ownership of the deed or house to my siblings. Now my siblings want nothing to do with it and I am stuck with the house. The house in 2006 had a loan pulled out of it for 201,500. But i have had to make payments on the mortgage to make sure its taken care of. I would like to know the easiest route to avoid capital gain taxes as I would like to sell the house. All the siblings have agreed to do quit claim deeds to give me the property, there was no will for my mother either. I would like the best help I just don't know where to start.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you will need to contact and consult with a probate attorney as to your options.

Gerald Barry Dorfman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.