Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Michigan

Q: I bought a house 7months ago.. 3months ago I noticed it's infested with rats.. do I have any recourse? what to do?

rats in every wall, every ceiling, and now getting into my house. neighbors say person who sold me the house knew about the rats.. I have 3 children. it's not safe anymore to live here with my children.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: This appears to be a question for an exterminator rather than a lawyer. Animals will live wherever they can get in and so long as there is food for them, so removing the ability to get into the house, and getting rid of food sources would seem to be the way to address this.

Did the previous owners specifically deny any animal incursion, or did you just not ask? There is NO house that doesn't have some animals or insects living in it. You just need to 'deal with' such situations. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is life. NOTHING is certain. It is going to be far cheaper to just hire an appropriate professional to deal with issues like this than it is to try to 'sue' someone with a likely bad result at the end of the case.

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Brent T. Geers agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.