Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Business Law and Identity Theft for New York

Q: hi. My wife took an imposter to sign on my behalf at a check cashing place.

the check was deposited into an account ,she claimed the person who had the same first name and last name as me as her husband to cash out $2400 stimulus check in may of 2020,I came to find out about the check cashed in march 2021,Irs sent me a check copy in August 2021,I made a police report but the police seems to not investigate as the police officer thinks its ok to sign on behalf of one another,and there is no more video evidence.

Now the burden is on my shoulder to prove it was not me who cashed out the check.

I have filed identity theft with IRS and they have no results so far for me .

I tried to contact DA office but they want police to investigate first and then they take it from there if there is any evidence.

What else can I do?

on the back of the check one signatures belong to my x wife and the other is the imposter.

can someone please try to help me

thank you:)

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard W. Noel
Richard W. Noel
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: If I was in your situation, I would gather all of the information, hire a civil attorney, and sue her and the imposter for the amount of money stolen, as well as the cost for litigation. After filing the suit, I would also subpoena the place for footage of the transaction. Hopefully it still exists. Whether the police investigate or whether the Prosecutor chooses to charge her, is up to them. If you want to get something done, go the other route. Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.