Zachary, LA asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Louisiana

Q: Can custody and child support be heard in two different parish courts? when there's a court order of domicile parent.

In September 2019, I was rewarded domicile parent in 19th JDC. My child mother was rewarded of visitation every other weekend. on same day of render judgement, the excise on the judgement began. My child mother kidnapped my child and never return the minor child. when she had illegal custody of minor child, she became a fugitive from justice with minor child. The mother applied for child support DCFS in the 24th JDC for child support. Legally can the 24th JDC can rule on child support case? furtherly when I file for child support in DCFS in East Baton Rouge parish. DCFS submitted back to 24th JDC because they say the case started there and have to stay there. Under the jurisdiction and subject matter laws can that happen? when there's a render judgement of domicile custody in the 19th JDC.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Your attorney can file for child support in your custody case in 19th JDC and can file an exception in 24th JDC to child support since you are domiciliary parent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.