Sand Springs, OK asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma

Q: I want to get emancipated and I'm not sure of the process. How can I get emancipated without parent consent in Oklahoma?

I'm 16, I'm transgender (trans masc enby) and my parents are threatening to kick me out because of it. It's taking a toll on my mental health and I feel I would be better off living on my own as a legal adult. I want to be able to be myself, get my mental health in order, and keep a roof over my head whilst doing so. I have a job, I have people who are also getting emancipated willing to get an apartment with me, I have my license, and I am extremely independent and able to support myself.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Evan Humphreys
Evan Humphreys
  • Guymon, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. Emancipating is a difficult process and one that is not often used. It requires a "next friend" (an adult who will not work against your interests) to file a petition in court and give notice to your parents. The judge will decide at a hearing whether it is appropriate to confer rights of majority on you. If there is an adult that is willing to file this petition for you, they might also be able to petition to be your guardian.

Getting advice from a lawyer would be best. They can discuss the particulars of your case in more detail. You can find low income legal service providers here:

You might also reach out to LGBT friendly resources like Oklahomans for Equality:

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.