Detroit, MI asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: How do I register my deceased fathers pistol?

Both my father and stepmom passed away there was no will and it did not go to probate as there were no assets and me and my sister agreed. My father had a pistol that he carried on him. So how do I get it registered in my name and what do I need to do so? Tried looking online and can’t find any answers . I do not want it to carry just registered so I can have it at home for self defense

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I am sorry to hear of your loss, but you've made a critical error in your factual discussion. If there was a pistol, there WERE assets no matter what your sister and you agreed.

You are correct that you probably don't need to go through a 'full' probate if the firearm is the only piece of property, but you DO need to account for this, and any other property that has cash value and have those assets assigned by either the Probate Court or some other mechanism (was there perhaps an NFA trust for the gun?)

You need to seek local legal help to review ALL the facts of this situation, determine what needs to be done, and how the gun can be titled and registered in your name at this point.

It is impossible to provide specific information in a forum like this -- you need to hire an attorney to help!

Good luck. //KV Zichi

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.