Asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Kentucky

Q: Do I need an affidavit of single parenthood?

I am a single mom of my 4 year old daughter. I have been solely responsible for her care and upkeep since her birth. Her father refused vehemently to be part of our lives and to be listed on the birth certificate, so space for father was left vacant. I intend on relocating to Canada with my daughter. Do I need to get an affidavit to further back up my situation in order to avoid delays or doubts?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: This is a question pertaining to Canadian requirements and therefore best posed to a Canadian immigration practitioner.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: You have to Give notice to the husband of your intent to relocate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.