Las Vegas, NV asked in Probate for Rhode Island

Q: My mom passed away on 2-23-2022. How can I obtain a copy of her Will.

My mom recently passed away. She did have a Will. My step father is refusing to share her Will with her children. I know there's certain things that belonged to my mom that she inherited from my grandmother that was to be passed along to me when my mom passed. My step father denied me seeing my mom before she passed. Had her cremated before I could get to Rhode island. And is now selling all her belongings. he also changed his will to where his family will receive all his assets when he passes. is there anything that I can do? My mom had 2 children, myself and my younger brother. (Neither one of us are his children). She lived I Rhode island and I live in Indiana.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Albin Moser
Albin Moser pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Providence, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: You can petition in the probate court of the city or town where your mother lived, and demand the production of the will. Your stepfather would be court-ordered to produce it.

Nina Whitehurst agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.