Asked in Immigration Law

Q: Would there be a problem will immigrating with my daughter to Canada?

I am a single mom to my 4 year old daughter. I do not know the whereabout or identity of her father. In other for her to be issued a birth certificate, my uncle that bears the same surname as me signed as her father. I am in the process of immigrating to Canada through the Federal skilled program. Would this pose any problems along the line? Is there any additional document I'll need to provide? Please note this is allowed in my country Nigeria, as no part of the birth certificate can be left vacant.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: Canadian immigration law questions are best brought up with a Canadian immigration attorney because Canadian law is different from U.S. law. That being said, putting the name of another relative who is not the father on your child's birth certificate is a bad idea. Many people before you have just left the father's name blank and that is ok.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.