Berkeley, CA asked in Products Liability for California

Q: how to consolidate a federal court case with a state county court case in CA?

which court is it to file a motion to consolidate a federal court case with a state county court case in CA?

are both cases after combined to be transferred to one court only?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dan Rowan Cortright
Dan Rowan Cortright
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Rohnert Park, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The consolidation motion will most likely need to be filed in federal court if the reason for federal jurisdiction still exists (e.g. diversity of citizenship of the parties) after the consolidation. Except in certain circumstances, state courts do not generally have jurisdiction over out-of-state parties or federal claims.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.