Seattle, WA asked in Family Law and Adoption for Ohio

Q: My God baby mother is becoming more & more unraveled she is having repeated breakdowns where she threatens to drop kid

Off to police station. I have raised my God baby since she was 3 months she is 3yr now. Her moms leave her wit me every chance she gets even told her family that if anything happens she was to come to me. But her mental state loves to control the narrative of the situation so she don't put it in writing. Her latest melt down she wants to take the kids to Detroit her family nore i dont trust her wit the children for they safety. I have my God Daughter right now as I write this how can I step in& get help for these kids that would be immediately. She jus had a baby who was premature she does drugs & she is sleeping in her truck with the kids.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bridget Sciscento
Bridget Sciscento
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland Heights, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You may be able to obtain emergency custody of your goddaughter. It is difficult to obtain emergency custody and even more difficult for a non-family member. However, given that you have been caring for the child for long stretches of time and Mom appears to be unstable, you may be able to overcome some of the hurdles associated with a natural parent's rights to the care and custody of her children. To file for emergency custody, you will need to contact your local Juvenile Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.