Durango, CO asked in Employment Law, Tax Law and Business Law for Colorado

Q: I'm curious what I would need to do, legally, to be able to have a vendor booth at biker rallies in different state

I currently own and operate a tour company in Colorado and have a vendor booth set up here. I would like to be able to travel state to state to different biker rallies with my booth and be able to be a vendor in different places throughout the Summer.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Unless you become a part of a single organization that has already arranged rallies is various states, you will need to register with each rally you pan to attend. Each state (and each county or city) will expect you to hold a license to do business in that state and collect sales taxes. You may need additional approval if you are vending food or offering any services that require a permit in that city or county.

The good news is your Colorado business entity is valid in all states. No need to start a business entity in each state you visit.

The onerous license requirement from each state usually includes registering for a tax ID number, filing some kind of revenue and remittance statement, and (potentially) subjecting your inventory to state tax. Taxes are the big headache of your plan. Every rally's vendor agreement will say something about owing taxes on sales made in that state and almost all state require an in-state tax ID.

Some rallies hold two events a year (Myrtle Beach, SC and Panama City Beach, FL come to mind) and may allow you to register for both events in one set of paperwork.

Talk to your accountant or CPA about scheduling a summer's worth of rallies and file for the tax ID and vendor license in each state. No need to find professional help in each state; a good Colorado accountant can help you file the paperwork for each rally you plan to visit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.