Flower Mound, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: I need advice on divorce and ensuring joint custody of my kids. Infidelity 4 months after we married, abandoned to follo

Wife took promotion 2 hours away, we got her an apartment to stay in durig the week. Has been cheating with coworker from here that moved to the same location previously. So basically she followed him. Once I found out, she left me in a new rent house, with our 2 kids, plus my stepson., but would still come home on weekends. This continued for 5 months and then she took my stepson. Our 2 kids continued to stay with me for a total of 16 months with her getting them on the weekend. I took a new job which has caused me to move to Dallas. I could only get a one bedroom at based on the cost of living and daycare is so expensive that we agreed she should take the boys until I get settled. She has now had them 5 months. I am stuck in this lease for 7 more months but willing to rent a second home with suitable space to get my kids back. We have always agreed on splitting everything with the kids but she just recently asked for me to give her extra for the kids. She refused to give me a dime

1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your wife has had the kids for 5 months and before you file for divorce you need to get back where she lives and get your kids fifty percent of the time. I would not fight over money right now, . You did not state how old the kids are, If they ar 12 or older they can talk to the judge about where they would like to live, The judge does not have to follow what the ids want but decides the best interest,

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.