Naugatuck, CT asked in Divorce for Connecticut

Q: My ex wife just moved bed into her boyfriends apartment. Can I stop paying my alimony without going to court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tara C. Dugo
Tara C. Dugo
  • Sandy Hook, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: No. You would need to file a motion for modification with the court, claiming cohabitation. Assuming you are able to demonstrate that your ex is cohabitating, the court could then issue orders terminating, modifying or suspending alimony (depending on the language of divorce judgment). Stopping alimony without a court order or agreement may be deemed self-help by the courts.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.