Pinellas Park, FL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Florida

Q: New landlord bought property as is. They evicted us. Can they hold our security deposit since it was bought as is?

Old landlord sold property as is. I have screenshots of the sale ad stating so.

The new landlord gave us all 30 days to leave but they're being shady about our security deposit.

The property is really old and always needed a total rehab.

I read alot of reviews on the new company doing shady stuff like keeping security deposits and charging thousands for repair work.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael  Mayoral
Michael Mayoral
  • Coral Gables, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: In Florida, landlords must tell you if they want to keep some or all of your security deposit. If they plan on keeping some or all of it, they have to send you a notice by certified mail within 30 days of you moving out of your rental home at the end of your lease (or they give up the right to keep it). If they fail to follow this procedure, an attorney can sue for the violation and for the return of your security deposit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.