Port Saint Lucie, FL asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Florida

Q: How do I terminate permanent guardianship? Child is uncontrollable because birth mother is encouraging bad behavior! Etc

He’s bullying 93 yr old in home causing my 5yr old grandson I’ve adopted to break down. He’s refusing to do schoolwork stealing taking off etc. I’ve called many agencies only to get one offering referral for counseling. This child needs a one on one situation that I can’t provide. I’m single disabled grandmother and I definitely don’t have enough money to pay thousands for lawyers. I was appointed permanent guardianship by DCF no their not helping. I’m not related. I don’t want him to end up being in jail or worse as an adult. He needs more help than I can provide since my son was killed and I’ve adopted my grandson. I can’t give him 1;1 that he needs

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ferrin
Michael Ferrin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You would need to file a motion to terminate the guardianship. I would highly recommend that you contact an attorney to assist you if this is what you want to do. If you can, it would be best if you could find someone else to take over the guardianship of the child and that way you can file a motion requesting to change the guardian. Reason I mention this is that if you request to terminate the guardianship and there is no one else to take the child, the child may be placed in the foster system. Again, I would highly recommend contacting an attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.