Michigan City, IN asked in Banking, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana

Q: There are references like "As added by P.L.14-1992, SEC.163." in IC. What does this mean and where can I find the text

Searching old Indiana Code and can't find anything. Example - IC 28-13-10-1 references the above. IC 28-7-1-16(d) and IC 28-13-10-1(b) are similar except the latter states "Unless the articles of incorporation or bylaws provide otherwise...." I need to find which IC controls, if any. Can you tell me what P.L. 14-1992, SEC. 163 means and where I can find it? Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Ray Smith
Michael Ray Smith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Indianapolis, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: What does that mean? Once a bill is passesd by the General Assembly, it is called a Public Law and assigned a number. P.L. 14-1992 Sec. 163 refers to Section 163 of Public Law 14 signed by the Governor in 1992, but that's about all you can tell from the number. Public Laws are difficult to read because they described edits to a current statute, with strikeouts and insertions. The Indiana Legislative Services Agency then updates the Indiana Code to incorporate the changes made by the Public Law. What you really want to find is the 1991 version of the Indiana Code -- i.e., the version just before P.L. 14-1992 was passed -- and compare it to the 1992 version of the Indiana Code.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a free online source of old versions of the Indiana Code that go back that far. Certainly, law libraries in Indiana (at the law schools and other places) have both the Public Laws and superseded versions of the Indiana Code on paper. The General Assembly website has an archive from prior sessions, http://iga.in.gov/legislative/archive/, but it only goes back to 2000. Versions of the Indiana Code are also available, http://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2021/ic/titles/001, but only back to 2009. (Click on the dropdown menu under "2021 Code" to get to the prior versions.) There are subscription services (Lexis, Westlaw, Fastcase, and others) that likely have superseded versions of the Indiana Code, but I don't know of any free online services.

Maybe someone else does.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.