Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Indiana Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Banking for Indiana on
Q: What to file motion to set aside judgement on inheritance property HELOC was fraud , bank wanted cover up. default judge

Urgent bc writ to assist not to get out when I paid up all

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 23, 2024

If you're facing a situation where a default judgment has been entered against you regarding an inheritance property and a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) that you believe was fraudulently obtained, taking swift legal action is important. To challenge this judgment, you would typically file... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Indiana on
Q: Please help. USAA bank is holding my disability checks hostage after I reported fraudulent activity.

I had a bank account less than 2 months and they are causing undue hardship on a disabled Veteran who just had 2 major surgeries.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Dec 17, 2023

In your situation, where your disability checks are being withheld by your bank following a report of fraudulent activity, the first step is to directly contact the bank's customer service or fraud department. Explain your situation clearly, emphasizing the urgency due to your disability and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Banking for Indiana on
Q: Can lender file for lost title or duplicate title after selling car to insurance company and accepting payment for acv

Lender sent title to insurance company I then bought it back from insurance company for salvage price insurance company sent me my title with lien holder release of lien

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 12, 2023

In Indiana, once a lender sells a car to an insurance company and receives payment for the actual cash value (ACV), they generally lose their rights to the vehicle, including any claims to its title. If you have bought the car back from the insurance company at a salvage price and received the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Indiana on
Q: There are references like "As added by P.L.14-1992, SEC.163." in IC. What does this mean and where can I find the text

Searching old Indiana Code and can't find anything. Example - IC 28-13-10-1 references the above. IC 28-7-1-16(d) and IC 28-13-10-1(b) are similar except the latter states "Unless the articles of incorporation or bylaws provide otherwise...." I need to find which IC controls, if... View More

Michael Ray Smith
Michael Ray Smith
answered on Mar 8, 2022

What does that mean? Once a bill is passesd by the General Assembly, it is called a Public Law and assigned a number. P.L. 14-1992 Sec. 163 refers to Section 163 of Public Law 14 signed by the Governor in 1992, but that's about all you can tell from the number. Public Laws are difficult to... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law, Foreclosure and Banking for Indiana on
Q: if I am being sued in Indiana, and did not make a court appearance can that court issue a warrant for contempt of court
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
answered on Feb 21, 2022

You failed to say which or what kind of court, what kind of notice for court appearance or any details from which an answer can be derived.

Try again.



View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Bankruptcy and Federal Crimes for Indiana on
Q: Filing for bankruptcy Found out the law firm we went to was bad so we went to cancel. Now being charged way to much.

We went to file for bankruptcy and we were supposed to only pay 100 a month til completion before they filed we've only paid for one month. We found out the company wasn't very good so we tried to cancel. Now they are trying to charge us over 600 dollars something we never ever agreed to.... View More

David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward
answered on Feb 10, 2022

Their argument will be that they have provided you that value in services. You should go to a new lawyer. Exercise your due diligence before you go--seek referrals from your local or statewide lawyer referral service.

BTW, that amount appears to be subject to discharge when you file....
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking, Federal Crimes and White Collar Crime for Indiana on
Q: Does the owner of a deposit accepting ATM machine own the cash inside as well?

Scenario: I have my own personal deposit-accepting atm machine that only I use, no one else. I make a deposit of $100 into my checking account using a $100 bill. I then physically open the ATM machine and take out that $100 bill that was just inserted (but my checking account balance remains the... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Oct 27, 2021

If I were you I would have a banking lawyer on retainer, to help you when the going gets really tough.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Indiana on
Q: How much trouble will 1 get in if they cash payroll check in amount of 570 two times. But has worked enough to pay back
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
answered on May 21, 2020

From your question it appears that the person was only entitled to one pay check, if that is the case it depends on how the person received the 2 pay checks and what role in drafting of the checks. At a minimum there could be a charge for misdemeanor conversion to theft to forgery as a felony.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Banking and Business Law for Indiana on
Q: Offer on home in Indiana. The seller won't sell unless the buyer of my home has a local mortgage lender. Is it legal?

I already have a signed contract from a buyer to purchase my home in Michigan. I can understand them requiring the purchaser of their home to have a local lender or whatever they want because it is their home. It doesn't seem to me like they have the right to infringe on my home sale.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 18, 2019

This question does not make sense.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Tax Law and International Law for Indiana on
Q: I am looking to create a company that facilitates peer-to-peer payments with the use of credit and debit cards.

For this I have created an app:

If user is going to send money using the app, they input their credit card, STRIPE charges the credit card and the money goes to my business bank account in the US. When this happens, the app shows a balance in the user’s APP account.

When a user... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jun 4, 2019

What you have described is a financial services company that operates exactly like a bank. Translation: Before you spend your money developing your "new" banking business you need to know that you are required to obtain a bank charter or some other official authorization from the state... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.