Dallas, TX asked in Criminal Law and Banking for Texas

Q: My estranged husband asked me to cash a check for him. It came back fraudulent. Can I get in trouble?

Me and my husband have been separated for 2 years but are still friends. He asked me to cash a check for him for $1400 so I deposited it through the atm. The check is in his name and he signed it and I signed under his name. He ended up going to jail on some other charges. The money was never deposited and I got a call from my bank saying the check was fraudulent and was sent to the fraudulent department. They asked me to go in and close my bank account. I haven’t went yet. I had no idea the check was fraudulent. Can I get in trouble? What should I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You could be charged as a party to a crime, Close your bank account , Do not give a statement to the bank or police if they call you. You will need to retain a lawyer if the police call you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.