Los Banos, CA asked in Animal / Dog Law for California

Q: My daughter abandoned her dog two months ago her at my house in California what can I do

My daughter was living with us, and she left two months ago, she left to work and hasn't been back since. She is having her episodes(bipolar with schizophrenic tendencies) at the moment and wants her dog, but she hasn't called or came to see him since she left that day to work, and we are afraid she will come take him if not home. What should we do, I know she isn't capable of caring for him

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William John Light
William John Light
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Give her the dog back. She was having a medical emergency, not abandoning a dog. If the dog was abandoned, you should have surrendered it to Animal Control, then adopted it through appropriate legal channels. What you are attempting to do sounds like theft.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.