Los Angeles, CA asked in Family Law, Personal Injury, Domestic Violence and Landlord - Tenant for Idaho

Q: Hello! My family is dealing with an odd situation and I'd like to know what steps can be taken to resolve it.

My mom's ex is abusive towards her and my sisters. She "left him" but he still comes over. She's been charging my sisters rent. They are over 18. Do they then have a say in whether or not he's allowed at the house if the are paying rent? They feel unsafe with him around but my mother has ignored these concerns.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Well, is sounds like you're asking this, correct me if I'm wrong:

Your parents were divorced. You are out of the house now but your sisters are still living with your mother, who apparently is a co-owner of the house that you and your mom's ex, owned?

If your mother is still a "co-owner" and not a "renter" of the house, that she and her ex used to own, then yes, your mother has a "say" on whether he comes to the house. IF she is an "owner," she obviously has authority about who comes into her house, even though he might also be a co-owner. He might come over, partially because he can, and THAT'S not a good reason to come over, after a divorce.

If your mom still needs to refinance the place, so as to remove his name from the paperwork, she needs to get to it and do it, so it won't be bothering her kids!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.