Chicago, IL asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Can I be charged with a felony if I don't cooperate?

I was pulled over for tags out of date and a car that was not mine I use my friend's car to go to work they took me to jail for driving on suspended after I was at the jail a police officer later came in and told me that I was being either charged or I could talk to a detective about the drugs they found in the car I told them nothing in the car with mine it wasn't even my car and I didn't give them authorization to search the car because it wasn't my car I didn't see them retrieve the drugs I didn't still don't even know how much the amounts of the drugs were. Did the Texas came in and told me that if I didn't snitch on somebody which I know nobody here I just moved to Arkansas then I will be charged with a felony drug conviction

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Lane Hughes
Richard Lane Hughes
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: No, you cannot be charged with a felony because you will not cooperate in the circumstances that you describe. However, it sounds as if the police made a valid stop (tags expired) and law enforcement can conduct an inventory search without consent when a vehicle is impounded.

You were clearly in control of the vehicle so you were constructively in possession of the contraband in the vehicle.

You need the assistance of an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney the court will appoint a lawyer to represent you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.