Mililani, HI asked in Tax Law for Hawaii

Q: I was given a motor vehicle by a widow who's husband did not register and not paid annual vehicle tax for 15 years

Is it possible to ask a judge to waive or reduce the tax, the vehicle is in poor condition and not worth much

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
  • Haiku, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: Aloha, this is a question best left to your local DMV. Usually, if a car is not to be used for an extended period of time, it is advisable to turn in the license plates and obtain a "storage certificate" the issuance of same would stop registration fees and taxes from accruing. The courts would have little to do with this issue.

If you cannot get the back taxes waived, it may not be feasible to pay off all the back taxes, unless it is an antique, classic, or collectible automobile. If it is not any of those, you may want to turn in the plates and either scrap it or part it out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.