Saint George, UT asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: How can I move a child support case from ASUME to ORS in the states?

Various times throughout the past 2 years I have tried to contact ASUME by phone and email to no avail. My child and his mother have moved to the same state I reside in and have now lived here for about 4-5 years, however the child support case is still with ASUME in PR where they were living prior. I have been wanting to move or start a new case (with intentions of closing the ASUME case) in the state we all now reside in. However, our child is now 18 (child support here stops at 18 unless extenuating circumstances). I do have arrears that I need to pay, however, being that I can't get in contact with ASUME, I don't know how I would be able to show proof of payment if I were to pay cs directly to mom. I went into the ORS office here, and they had no idea how I would move the case.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Greetings:

The case belongs to the jurisdiction of Puerto Rico.

Since the case was filed there, the agency has the prerogative to keep jurisdiction and supervise it till its very end.

Legal age in the jurisdiction of Puerto Rico is reached when the dependent turns 21 years old.

There are several exceptions that provide to pay child support until the dependent finished a college or professional degree.

The fact that the dependent moves to another territory or state does not affect the state and agency jurisdiction.

Any communication related to the case has to be through motions and official communications allowed by the forum.

The official filing of the case has to be in the agency or via email, to the official who oversees the case.

A state respects another state jurisdiction; an agency of the same hierarchy cannot intrude on another agency jurisdiction without the express authorization in law; a decision maker of the same hierarchy of another cannot affect a decree or a resolution that the other has made.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.