Northport, AL asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Alabama

Q: Im ordered to pay child support to my kids grandmother, but they have never lived with her. Is it legal?

She gained temporary custody in 2010, but they have never lived with her. They were with their father and kept away from me. He passed away in July and now they live with me. She’s used them for benefits for child support, welfare assistance and food stamps be because of the custody order and I’m still having to pay all of this back while they garnish wages, tax refunds and stimulus checks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.