Jacksonville, FL asked in Criminal Law for Virginia

Q: convicted at 18 for a crime done at 15 , im now 39 how to get it sealed or removed?

in the state of virgina i comited a crime at the age of 15, was areested and convited of armed robbery at the age of 18 , sentanced did my time and got out , im wanting to know if its possible to have itsealed or something like that so employeers will not be able to see how stupid iwas as a kid ? i mean its been over 10 years sincei was released well over 10 years probally closer to 15 or 16 ( 2006 was my release year )

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Fremit
Susan Fremit
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Spotsylvania , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Generally speaking, criminal convictions in VA are never sealed or removed, especially crimes of violence. It does not matter how many years have passed since conviction or sentence has been served. However, you can write to the VA Governor requesting that you obtain your civil rights back. Then a petition can be brought to the Court with documentation supporting the reason for wanting your record sealed. At this point, I would suggest retaining an attorney to assist you, but you still may still be unsuccessful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.