Washington, DC asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Virginia

Q: Can I ask the insurance co to settle myself without a lawyer? Also do I have to fill out interrogatories with no lawyer?

I was struck by two people in a car accident at no fault of mine. But there were no credible Witnesses besides us. I was injured, and have medical debt and lost wages. not to mention scoliosis so my pain is pretty deep. No lawyers around here are brave enough I guess to take on a case with no Witnesses. This has been going back and forth in court for a while. My question is, can I just get the other person's attorney and contact the insurance company to try and settle? One case offered a low settlement, and the other case is trying to deny fault with this honesty. Also not sure if I need to fill out interrogatories for court if I don't have an attorney anyway and will probably represent myself if I do go

2 Lawyer Answers
Olga Pazilova
Olga Pazilova
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA

A: You can, but I would strongly advice you against it. The opposing party will take advantage of it and will either settle for a lot less than the case is actually worth or deny liability completely. Only experienced PI attorney can properly evaluate your case and make sure you're getting compensated fairly for everything you're entitled to. The attorney will also know how to establish liability (even if there are no independent witnesses) and how to handle litigation process.

Yes, you would have to answer interrogatories and other discovery and without attorney you wouldn't know what information you have to provide and what you can object to which can compromise your case outcome.

1 user found this answer helpful

Benjamin W.   Glass III
Benjamin W. Glass III
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Fairfax, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: You have the right to represent yourself. The fact that you have not been able to find an attorney has nothing to do with their "bravery" but may be an indication that your case is weak. You can try to negotiate the case yourself, sure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.