Indianapolis, IN asked in Small Claims for Ohio

Q: I loaned my ex over $9000. I have emails where he admits to the debt. Can I sue him in Ohio?

I loaned my ex 6k and got a loan for him. We had a verbal agreement for repayment. He was making payments but recently stopped. I have emails where he admits to owing me but now refuses to pay. Can I sue him in Ohio in small claims court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You can sue him. The emails will help. You probably want to sue in the civil division of the municipal court and not small claims because $9,000 exceeds the jurisdictional limit of $6,000 to be considered a small claim. You can sue in small claims but the court can only grant a judgment up to $6,000.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.