Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Texas

Q: My 15 year old friend is being abused, the abuse isn’t enough for cps to do anything, can he move in with me (18 y/o)

I currently live with my grandpa but I will have my own apartment soon, he is applying to jobs right now and by the time he turns 16 and is able to file for emancipation he would be able to live with me paying rent and helping with groceries. My main question is if he could move in with me at 15 or if he has to wait until he is 16, he thinks his parents might let him move in with me because they know me decently well by now, but is it legal for a 15 year old to live with an 18 year old? Also, what are the steps for getting him emancipated? Most websites I've found haven’t been very clear about it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Your 15 year old friend can't live with you and you could be charged with harboring a runaway. If your friend is being abused call CPS.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.