Oregon City, OR asked in Real Estate Law and Land Use & Zoning for California

Q: My husband and first wife bought land with another couple. They have not paid their share. Can we get the land titled

In our name only? They have not paid their half share of the purchase nor taxes since the early 80’s. I want full title so I can sell it. Currently not worth what we have paid in taxes over the years. What can we do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Yelena Gurevich
Yelena Gurevich
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Studio City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: you can ask them to relinquish their interest to you and if they dont then you can file a partition action and have the court order the property sold and funds distributed based on contributions and payments towards the property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.