Glendale, AZ asked in Legal Malpractice for California

Q: How can I get my file from the attorney I fired last week?

After catching him in one more of many lies, I got fed up with his indifference to the 2 cases I hired him for and fired him. I have been requesting my file from him since then with no acknowledgement or response. Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances, I had to move to a different state so I can't pick it up myself, he would need to mail it to me. Does he have the right to withhold my file from me? I want to see what or if he actually did anything for me as he missed filing the 2 cases with the court causing the statute of limitations to expire. I have been dealing with this man for 8 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Legal Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in California

A: If he missed time limitations you may have good legal malpractice cases. Speak with a Certified Legal Malpractice Specialist.

To get your file, if you get a new attorney, he or she will get the new file for you.

No, the attorney may not withhold the file from you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.