North Las Vegas, NV asked in Divorce and Civil Litigation for Nevada

Q: I’ve been divorced for about almost two years. Me and my ex bought a house together.

I’ve been divorced for about almost two years. Me and my ex bought a house together and she was ordered to sell or refinance within a year. She has done neither. If she sold then the profits were to be split equally. Do to the pandemic I wasn’t sure if I could have force her out in the first year, so I resigned my lease on my apartment. Well my lease is coming due again the that thing about evictions has gone away. She now has started the refinance can I still take her to court and get half of my equity.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If the divorce decree stated that the equity of the house was to be evenly divided, she must follow the court order. Failure to do so would be contempt of court and you can file a motion with the court forcing her to abide by the decree.

Janice Jacovino agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.