Brooklyn, NY asked in Personal Injury for New York

Q: My fiance daughter was i a serious accident o the school bus hospital stop treatment unless they get money heson a rig

What can be done so she can get proper treatment

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: I'm very sorry for your fiance's daughter's accident. From the brief description, it looks like the hospital may be demanding confirmation that a no-fault claim has been set up. Please consider reaching out to an attorney experienced in no-fault law to discuss proper filing of a no-fault claim in a TIMELY manner. With buses and school buses, the process of setting up a no-fault claim can sometimes be more complex than it is for occupants involved in accidents aboard ordinary passenger vehicles.

Please ACT AT ONCE. In New York State, such benefits must be filed for within 30 days of the accident. You should consult with an attorney to determine the EXACT date by which you must file, based on the date of the accident. Please do not delay - if this deadline is missed, that could close the door on obtaining no-fault benefits for medical treatment.

To summarize - this is very important and urgent. It cannot be explained in full step-by-step instructions on this post.


I hope your fiance's daughter experiences a healthy recovery from her injuries.

Good luck

Jonathan R. Ratchik agrees with this answer

Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Sorry to hear what happened to your fiancé's daughter. As my colleague correctly advised, best for your fiancé to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. He can find many excellent personal injury lawyers using the Find a Lawyer tab on the JUSTIA homepage. Keep in mind that the deadline by which to file an application for no-fault insurance benefits (so that his daughter's medical bills get paid) is 30 days from the date of the incident. Also, if a municipality or school district owns or operates the school bus, he might also have to file a Notice of Claim within 90 days of the incident to preserve his daughter's right to bring a lawsuit. Again, best to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer. Don't delay!

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.