Asked in Environmental and Personal Injury

Q: There is a Canadian company that was just found guilty in the US of knowingly polluting a water source where I grew up.

There is a Canadian company that was just found guilty of knowingly polluting a water source with raw mercury and lead slag (,the Columbia river). The toxic pollution was significant enough that it flowed into the United states. They were charged in an American court. I lived in the town that this took place in, during the years they admitted to. As a result I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder - ASD ( lead poisoning is a direct cause of this diagnosis) because of the asd I suffered through 15 years of being homeless because it was almost impossible to sustain housing and employment without constant direction

They were found guilty and also lost their appeal.

Am I able to pursue a case here in Canada? they have admitted to, and been found guilty in the United states.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Environmental Law Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: This is something you should consult with an attorney in Canada about. I am very sorry you suffered this ordeal. In the U.S., venue for a lawsuit can be based on the location of the defendant, with additional tests applied to corporate defendants. An attorney in Canada should be able to advise on issues of jurisdiction and venue for you. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.