Environmental Questions & Answers by State

Environmental Questions & Answers

Q: Public nuisance codes in small town stonrwall,OK.74871

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental, Land Use & Zoning, Municipal Law and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Answered on Dec 31, 2017

Visit your county courthouse. The law library is supposed to have a copy of the city laws/ordinances. City hall should also have a copy.
View Details »

Q: can i get you to call me?

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Products Liability, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Answered on Dec 7, 2017

That sounds like an awful living situation. There are landlord/tenant laws in Florida that protect tenants such as yourself. Call a local landlord/tenant attorney to discuss your situation and see what options you have.

Please be advised that these communications do not create an attorney-client relationship, that matters have state-specific statutes of limitations, and that these answers are for general information purposes only. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your...
View Details »

Q: What is 15.17 hearing

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Environmental for Texas on
Answered on Nov 29, 2017

It is a reference to Texas Code of Criminal Procedure 15.17 which discusses the procedure for taking an arrested person to a magistrate judge. There was a Texas case called Rothgery v. Gillespie County that went all the way to the United States Supreme Court that is directly on-point with regard to 15.17 so reading about that specific case might be more informative than reading the dry text of the statute.

If you want to read the statute, you can find it here:...
View Details »

Q: How to terminate lease in Colorado due to black mold in rental property not being handled in timely manner.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on
Answered on Oct 31, 2017

You need an attorney who is tenant oriented. Best bet is contact the local legal services program, ask for their landlord tenant unit, explain it's not for services you just want to find out which of their l&t attorneys is in private practice and their contact info.
View Details »

Q: We rented a house with mold and roach infestation.can we get rent and deposit back even though we signed a lease

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental and Landlord - Tenant on
Answered on Oct 29, 2017

The landlord has the obligation to notify prospective tenants with regard to any issues present on the rental property which might pose a danger to their health, including mold contamination and pest infestation, prior to signing the lease. Accordingly, if your landlord wittingly omitted to disclose these problems, they can be held accountable for failing to comply with the warranty of habitability. You can either withhold rent until they properly attend to the mold contamination and pest...
View Details »

Q: Can I sue a company for mishandled regulated chemicals

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Environmental for California on
Answered on Oct 29, 2017

If you did not suffer a severe injury as a result of exposure to the chemicals on your roommate’s work clothes, taking legal action against the employer will most likely be a fruitless endeavor. Whether the practice of having workers clean their own uniforms is legal highly depends on what pesticides they handle during the job and how harmful these chemicals are to human health. Accordingly, laundering contaminated work clothes might be relatively safe as long as certain precautions are...
View Details »

Q: Can I bring a class action suit against JCP&L?

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental for New Jersey on
Answered on Oct 29, 2017

Yes, initiating a class action lawsuit might be a good idea if there have been multiple complaints from residents which the company failed to promptly resolve. Depending on the extent of the problem, JCP&L may be held liable for corporate misconduct and/or environmental damage. However, before filing a class action lawsuit, it is crucial to consult a lawyer specialized in this area of practice, namely in Environmental Law, as they have the necessary knowledge to thoroughly evaluate every aspect...
View Details »

Q: Currently renting a condo. Water damage from an above unit has made my kitchen and bathroom unusable. What are my right

1 Answer | Asked in Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Answered on Aug 20, 2017

According to the warranty of habitability, landlords have to ensure that tenants are permanently benefiting from appropriate living conditions. The warranty of habitability is effective in every U.S. state. Therefore, you will most likely be able to end the lease by bringing up the landlord’s failure to comply with the warranty of habitability. If, however, you are not willing to do so and would like to continue living in the condo, there are two legal self-help approaches you can resort to...
View Details »

Q: My 16 yr old son is visiting me in hyde park from Florida and shot a Canadian goose with a bb gun and killed it.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Environmental and Juvenile Law for New York on
Answered on Aug 9, 2017

I I'm quite familiar with this type of matter. It is a very complicated issue with far reaching conclusions most people are able to see ( future ability to get into college/get a job/obtain professional license.

One of my passions is juvenile law because I wasn't an angel growing up and generally get to exercise my role as "counselor" as well as "attorney" in such matters.

Please feel free to contact our office at +1 (914) 912-1555 or my cell at +1 (914) 364-6327 and I'll be...
View Details »

Q: i have an academic question about intl law and treaties which might not have a certain answer:

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Constitutional Law, Environmental and International Law for New York on
Answered on Aug 9, 2017

This is a legal Q&A board, not a forum for expressing philosophical views on world politics and international relations.
View Details »

Q: Do my parents have legal grounds to withdraw from a contract with a Home Builder if know of a potential health risk?

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Environmental for Colorado on
Answered on Jul 26, 2017

The contact will likely control here. You will need to hire an attorney to review the circumstances and the contact to review the available options.
View Details »

Q: Water main break and we have no water until further notice according to the rental office. What are my rights?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Environmental and Landlord - Tenant for Florida on
Answered on Jul 21, 2017

Unfortunately, your question is too broad in my opinion. I suggest that you meet with a landlord tenant attorney in your area to discuss the whole situation. This forum is not a substitute for getting one on one legal advice.

This does not sound like the fault of the landlord, so that might be something that the city will do for effected people, but again speak with a landlord tenant attorney in your area.
View Details »

Q: My friend and I are 14. There is a field behind her house. Is it trespassing if we didn't know someone owned it then?

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law, Environmental, Juvenile Law and Real Estate Law for Ohio on
Answered on Jul 10, 2017

Every square inch is owned by somebody. It is trespassing whether you know who owns it or not. Don't go where you don't have permission. It is especially dangerous to go in a field with cows or other animals. And don't go in a field with a single cow. It could be a bull, and they are aggressive and could chase you down and hurt or kill you. You cannot outrun a bull.
View Details »

Q: Hi. Is there a way to search if Alcoa Inc. has been sued b/c of cladding deficienties? Or when cladding was regulated?

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Environmental for District of Columbia on
Answered on Jun 30, 2017

For Alcoa suits you'd have to go through each one--there's no master subject index. Note that some states do code by type so you can narrow inquiry down to "tort." Buidling materials have not generally been regulated as that is up to building codes--federal regulation was fought until it looked like a way in when conservatives championed "pre-emption" as an end around law suits. But so far what goes on buildings isn't regulated and alcoa is not the only provider.
View Details »

Q: Hello I am looking for statues/codes on cladding. So far, I've found 42 U.S.C. § 9703. Thoughts? Thanks!

2 Answers | Asked in Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Environmental for District of Columbia on
Answered on Jun 29, 2017

There are construction codes in each city, county, state, and the federal government that apply to construction standards. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AEesq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business &...
View Details »

Q: Trying to find a lawyer for a toxic mold situation in my mother's senior apartments. What kind of lawyer do I need

5 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Environmental for California on
Answered on Jun 12, 2017

Many personal injury attorneys handle these types of cases.
View Details »

Q: My partner and i want to introduce new paint in usa. Question is if it needs to be subjected to any standardized test

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Environmental for North Carolina on
Answered on Jun 11, 2017

Section 5 of Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) mandates anyone who plans to manufacture or import a new chemical substance for a non-exempt commercial purpose to provide the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) with prior notice. This pre-manufacture notice, or PMN, must be submitted at least 90 days prior to the manufacture or import of the chemical. Manufacturers and importers must also comply with other TSCA regulations that may impose certain reporting and testing requirements and...
View Details »

Q: Hi, I would like to find all legislations and regulations related to sludge or cuttings reinjection (for oil industry)

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas, Environmental and Gov & Administrative Law for Texas on
Answered on Jun 11, 2017

The information on these pages should be useful:


View Details »

Q: Can I get a license to grow and harvest marijuana on my farm in Nebraska?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Agricultural Law, Environmental and Land Use & Zoning for California on
Answered on Jun 1, 2017

Contact a Nebraska lawyer. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.
View Details »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.