San Antonio, TX asked in Adoption and Family Law for Florida

Q: My family and I had to move to TX in the middle of an adoption process starting in FL. Do we have to start all over?

I am adopting my wife's 5 year old. We already have a daughter together. Mom is the only one that's ever had rights. The biological father has signed over his rights, isn't on the birth certificate, and there is no custody agreement. Can we finish the Florida adoption with a new Texas address?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes, you should be able to. You haven't indicated if you have an attorney representing you; if so ask the attorney. If not, contact the judge's judicial assistant about scheduling a hearing, perhaps on Zoom.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.