Katy, TX asked in Estate Planning for Michigan

Q: how to get a sibling out of a home our parents willed to their 4 children

He's been living there rent free. Title and all bills are in my deceased parents name. Will states that the condo is to be divided by 4 or if all agree the brother can buy us out. I do not agree. What do we do now? My sister is the executive. We signed over our rights as executives in order to make it easier when selling their estates.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I assume your sister is the personal representative. Michigan doesn’t appoint executors or executives.

If she’s been appointed by the court she has the authority and is REQUIRED to settle the estate which means selling or distributing the house.

However, the tone of your question implies your brother may not be the only issue and it is critical that ALL the siblings work together to make things go smoothly.

If you don’t already have an attorney it would be a good idea to hire one to determine what can and should be done to get this situation resolved. I don’t see this ending easily without some legal and procedural advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.