Bensalem, PA asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hi.  We went to mediation and signed a document saying ...

"The parties agree to resolve this matter and to prepare a settlement agreement to include the following terms: ..."

The agreement the opposing side came up with includes some unfair and crazy stuff, including:-We would like some things clarified, added and deleted but the other side is refusing to make any changes.  -One of the stipulations says if there is any breach we must pay them $19,500 per violation.  This was never discussed and is an absurd amount.  We clearly will not agree to this.-We can't disparage the firm but it doesn't include the firm can't disparage us.

Again we can't agree to these and other terms.  The attorney from the other side says they will not change anything in the agreement.  Our attorney is saying since we filed the initial agreement to prepare a settlement agreement and also a W-9 they insisted on us completing that we are in an agreement that we cannot get out of and they are just going to send us the check. I know this is not correct. What can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Arbitration & Mediation Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Pennsylvania attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. However, it's difficult for an attorney to offer guidance based on a brief post. You could reach out to Pennsylvania attorneys to discuss, but they may want to see the agreement and learn more details about the matter before offering meaningful input. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.