Pittsboro, NC asked in Family Law for North Carolina

Q: In NC you get half of your spouse’s 401k up yo the current date. I have been separated for 17 months.

If my husband is willing to give me half of his 401k currently not date of separation can he do so?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
Mr. Albert Loch Saslow
  • Greensboro, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can agree to any sort of division - whether such a division or more or less than what a court would do by following the statutes. So long as y'all are happy with it, then you can be as creative as you want. Obviously you will want to make sure that the paperwork is property drawn up and executed, so you should consult with someone on that step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.