Dallas, TX asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Texas

Q: If my wife needs long term memory care, can I use her non-joint ira to help pay for it without a power of attorney?

She has Parkinson dementia and is no longer able to make decisions. For long term care I need to use the money in her IRA. Most of the money was made after we were married, but it is not a joint IRA. I have been managing the account since her illness, but have not taken out any money. Now that she has progressed to needing to be in a memory care facility. I need the money to help pay for her care. Can I access it and transfer money out to provide care or do I have to get official guardianship? We do not have a power of attorney and she is not competent enough to sign one at this point.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Sorry for the situation you are in. If it is not yours, then unless you have the right to access it, then you should not access it. I would seek judicial approval so no one can question you after the fact. Good luck.

Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Richardson, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You'll definitely want to speak with an attorney in the area who handles guardianship cases. In addition to (or instead of) guardianship over your wife, you may want to look at getting a document from the guardianship judge naming you as "community administrator". Many attorneys don't know about community administration, but it is way better than guardianship because it costs a lot less and requires a lot less reporting to the court in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.