Asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Oklahoma

Q: Non-Violent Felony changed to Violent felony. Am I still Non-Violent?

Good afternoon,

I was researching some changing gun laws in my state. Upon doing so, I noticed the felony I was convicted of was changed to a “violent felony” six years after I plead to the crime. I’m wondering if I am now considered a violent felon or an

I still protected under the “old law” considering I was convicted many years before this change in statute?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Oklahoma City, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If you are looking at other laws that specify crimes that impact eligibility or prohibited conduct and you are trying to determine if you are eligible or prohibited from said conduct based on a prior conviction, most of the time it will not matter what the law was at the time of your conviction; rather, it will be what the legislature intended at the time of making the law that establishes criteria for eligibility or that prohibits the conduct. There are a few exceptions to that. I would suggest you consult a lawyer specifically about your situation to obtain clarity. So, for certain things you may not be considered to have been convicted of a violent crime; however, your punishment/sentence cannot be changed as a result.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.