Indianapolis, IN asked in Car Accidents and Bankruptcy for Illinois

Q: Insurer filed Dec 21 a lawsuit for the damage I made in a car accident in Dec 2016. Can the debt be written off?

Untill this year I didn't know that the other driver filed a claim, the approximate damage looked around $1000 but it turned out that he filed a claim for more than $11.000.

I’m not sure if it’d suspend my driver license if I’m not capable of paying that amount. I can’t let that happen. Accident happened in Illinois, my driver license is NC.

At the moment next case date was set up to as it says to "prove up"

If its possible I want somehow this debt to be removed since the accident has been in 2016.

Or to know that it won’t affect my driver license.

I have a picture of the damage.

Thank you for your time!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theodore J. Harvatin
Theodore J. Harvatin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Springfield, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can enter into a payment plan with the insurance company if you can agree upon an amount. As long as you stick with the payment plan your license will not be suspended. Or you can write off the debt and bankruptcy. Or win the case in court.

Otherwise, if they take a judgment and file it with the secretary of state, your license will be suspended.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.