Sylva, NC asked in Adoption, Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: My grandfather died without a will and I was adopted, do I need the adoption papers?

My grandfather died without a will and he owns the house and has a sizable bank account not in my name. He has no heirs other than me. What do I need to do to get them in my name. I was adopted by my biological grandma and he was married to her the moment she passed away and continued to raise me. What do I need to get his house and account into my name?

1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There are a couple of questions that will need to be answered before I can give you specific advice. Did your grandfather adopt you as well? And second, are you biologically related to your grandfather? If you can answer yes to either of those questions, you can likely get his assets transferred to you during the probate process. However, if both are no, then you likely cannot.

My advice is to speak to a probate attorney in or around the county he lived in and have them review all the paperwork and give you specific advice on this matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.