Tampa, FL asked in Family Law and Probate for North Carolina

Q: How to 'fix' transferring funds from deceased checking account? (North Carolina)

Just before my father passed, he and I set up a savings account online with me as a joint owner.

We neglected to add me on the checking account.

The day after he passed, a check auto-deposited in the checking account. Thinking I was joint on both, I transferred the money to the joint savings account.

The estate is now in probate and I need to rectify this transfer. What would be the proper legal way to do this?

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The funds in the checking account at the time of death are part of your father's estate. Because this money was transferred after death, it becomes much harder to determine the ownership. To access the account, you will have to go through the probate process and be appointed the personal representative of your father's estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.