Lahaina, HI asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii

Q: i have evidence of person telling me that he planted something on me so that the cops can raid my house

many things in my case being over looked by my layer and the police that makes me question the integraty of everything in my case

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Haiku, HI
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: Aloha, you have a Constitutional Right to not only have an attorney represent you, but to Effective Assistance of Counsel. To prove ineffective assistance of your attorney, you must show (1) that your trial lawyer's performance fell below an "objective standard of reasonableness" and (2) "a reasonable probability that, but for your attorney’s errors, the result of the proceeding would have been different." Strickland v. Washington, 466 U.S. 668 (1984).

The key to a successful criminal defense it a good working relationship with your lawyer.

Since it appears as though you have not proceeded to trial yet, I urge you to bring up your concerns to your attorney and to have an honest discussion about them. Communication is key to working with your lawyer to build your defense, and I wish you the best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.