Philadelphia, PA asked in Personal Injury and Legal Malpractice for New York

Q: My attorney stated he could not mail me my case file from NY to PA because it's a HIPAA violation. Is that true.?

I have a case that's been going on since 1991 against the city of NY. I don't believe my attorney is handling it accordingly. He refuses to send me

my case file. There hasn't been any progress on my case and keeps trying to assure me everything's OK. He's sent me money on a few occasions in a time of need. He keeps telling me to call him and I do but to no avail. I can see my name on the Supreme Court records online library however there's no documents scanned in. I have an index # of 026775-1991 (row 1). He has told me he's gonna retire soon and that hes gonna give my case to a friend of his of 40 years. I would like to know what options I have in trying to get my case settled. I personally feel like this can be a malpractice suite against said attorney because he hasn't provided proper legal care.

I'd appreciate any help you offer

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan R. Ratchik
Jonathan R. Ratchik
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Sorry to hear your attorney is refusing to turn over your file. You have an absolute right to get a copy of it.

HIPAA does NOT prevent your attorney from mailing you a copy of your own file; HIPAA governs the disclosure of protected / confidential medical information to unauthorized third parties. Refusal to turn over your file is a big red flag.

That your case is now >30 years old does not bode well. Whether you have a viable legal malpractice lawsuit will depend on whether your lawyer's conduct fell below the accepted standard of care and whether any such malpractice caused you economic loss. Although you generally must first prove that you could prevail in the underlying lawsuit (which may be difficult to prove given the age of your case), if your lawyer's malpractice prevented you from obtaining a recovery in the first place, you might have a viable case.

You can find many excellent legal malpractice lawyers using the Find a Lawyer tab on the JUSTIA homepage.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.